The construction industry – by nature of its business – has an impact on land and water resources. However, Knife River works hard to maximize those resources, meet or surpass applicable regulatory requirements and develop sustainable programs that our divisions can deploy.
There are many programs, but some of our large-scale efforts include:
• Recycling old asphalt surfaces into new roadways.
• Recycling reclaimed concrete aggregate.
• Using several thousand tons of fly ash to replace Portland Cement.
• Implementing the Shut Down & Save program to lessen fuel use and emissions.
• Adding warm-mix asphalt in several operations to reduce energy consumption and emissions.
To learn more about our efforts, please view our Corporate Responsibility Report.